As a marketing mentor for consultants, speakers, and experts, I’m often asked some variation of the following questions:
- What’s more important – a focused marketing plan or consistent marketing activity?
- Do I need to change my marketing strategy?
- What should I be doing more of – and less of – to get more clients?
- How do I know the kind of marketing that will work for what I offer?
- How can I stop spinning my wheels and do a FEW simple things consistently to generate leads, prospects and sales?
Here’s my answer in very sophisticated and technical marketing lingo:
“Wow… I dunno.”
Now before you dismiss me as a complete marketing moron, let me put that insightful statement into some context for you.
If you don’t know who you’re marketing to, what they want, what they’re willing to pay for, and how to position yourself as the “Ah – at last!!” solution they’ve been looking for, then these questions will merely:
- Confuse you
- Scare you
- Piss you off
And it’s hard to be a successful entrepreneur when you’re running around confused, scared and pissed off all the time.
So stop it.
The first thing you need to decide is – which do YOU need more of?
A new master plan (more THINKING)?
Or some healthy ass-kicking to IMPLEMENT (more DOING) what you ALREADY know you need to do?
Follow the Teddy Roosevelt principle:
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
If you want some strategic help with that then check out http://doitmba.com/
If you need a little more DOING, then…
GO ALREADY – start doing the work!
But that means you need to STOP procrastinating and “getting ready to get ready” until…
- You get your next professional certification…
- You finish writing your book…
- Your kids are a little older…
- You build your updated website…
- You have a few more clients…
- You start making more money…
Can you SMELL the stinky pile of rotten excuses suffocating you with their disgusting stench?
Do you need a rock solid marketing/business STRATEGY?
The short answer is a screaming YES with racing stripes and flames coming out the tailpipes.
Do you need a 60-page marketing/business plan with charts and graphs and financial projections for the next 5 years?
NO you do not.
Do you want some help in seeing what ingredients you might be missing – and how to start closing those gaps and improving those aspects of your business that will bring more and bigger checks in the door?
Now is the time. More thinking. More doing.