Where did that lead come from?
“It came out of the blue…”
How did that customer find you?
“They found us out of the blue…”
What made them call?
“They called out of the blue…”
How many times have you heard yourself give these types of answers?
Hmmm… me too.
Until last night when I was having dinner with The Hot One™ – aka my lovely bride of 27 years.
I was telling her about a brand new client and she asked me, “How did they find you?” and I instinctively answered, “I dunno – they found me out of the blue.”
By the way, this is a terrible answer for a marketing guy to give.
I should know exactly how and why my specific marketing activities attract specific clients but I must admit things have been going fast and furious around here lately so I’ve lost track. A good problem to have – but a problem nonetheless…
Back to dinner with The Hot One™ – she looks over at me, pauses meaningfully and says…
“There is no blue.”
Ouch. And she’s right. So she made me think harder – look harder – connect the dots – to where and how this client came to me.
This is a terrific reminder for YOU, too…
There is no blue.
So here are 12 potential sources of “blue” — inbound leads, prospects and referrals. You need to work harder at identifying, specifying, and inquiring about these when GOOD prospects come your way. And even more so when – like in my situation yesterday – good prospects become clients!
- Google (or other search engines)
- Your articles in hardcopy publications (industry magazines, trade journals, association publications)
- Your articles posted online (guest blogs, contributed columns, niche industry websites)
- Your social media accounts (Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook, etc.)
- Your blog
- Your personal network (friends, family, colleagues)
- A referral (current client, past client, or non-client fan/influencer)
- Directories and listings (online, offline)
- Your speaking engagements (local, regional, national, fee or free)
- Your videos (on your website or sites like YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)
- Your teleseminars (the ones you host or where you’re the guest)
- Your media interviews (TV, radio, print)
Become fanatical about connecting new customers and clients to specific marketing channels.
Put a sign up on your office wall to remind you if necessary…
There is NO blue!
Grab your FREE copy of the Platform Promotion Checklist!
Are you a DO IT freak? Welcome to the club!! Please use the social media buttons at the top of this post to share it with your network. YOU are a rock star!